Growth Chart for My Little Ones

Friday, February 16, 2007

The Arrival - 25 Jan 2007

The story begins here...
0800 - My wife, Tracy, was admitted to MAH and went into Delivery Suite straightaway.
0830 - Nurse gave her enema to clear bowel.
0900 - Our gynae, Dr Lawrence Ang, came to check on her. Dilated 4.5cm already but she does not have much contraction. Dr Ang proceed to break her water bag as planned.
0901 to 1129 - My wife's contraction is still quite irregular and not very painful. She's a bit bored so asked nurse whether can play game (bought a Nintentdo DS recently)..... but nurse said NO!
1130 - Still no sign of regular contraction. Nurse called Dr Ang and then decided to put her on drip. The painful experience started here.....
1200 - After the drip was on, contraction started to come quite regularly (about 10 mins) and the pain started to increase.
1215 - Contraction intensified and nurse asked whether my wife would like to have epidural but at that point, the pain was still bearable so she said she'll try to use gas mask first.
1245 - Contraction came every 2-3 mins and pain started to become quite unbearable. She was so painful that she can't really hold onto the mask properly, so I have to help..... After seeing her in such pain, I felt that she would probably need epi. So I called the nurse in. Told the nurse my wife needs epi and she went to call Dr Ang. The nurse checked dilation, which was already 6cm and Dr Ang asked her to try injection on the thigh first. So she took the jab......
1315 - The jab did not seem to have any effect and her pain now is reaching her threshold.... Nurse checked dilation again and it was about 7-8cm but baby head was still quite high. I asked for Epi once again but Dr Ang said now may be a bit late for epi. He advised the nurse to get my wife start pushing at about 1345hrs.
1345 - My wife was in severe pain and she's been struggling on the bed. I tried very hard to support her and keep her in position. The midwife came and started asking her to push so that baby head will go lower. She tried a few times but all she know is pain pain and pain.....
1400 - The midwife tried very hard to encourage my wife but she really got not much strength to push. She was screaming whenever contraction came (about every 1 min) and unconsciously she kept asking for epi and said things like "I want to go home", "I dun want" etc etc
1410 - Still trying to push but baby head was still a bit high for Dr Ang to help. The pain now was way past her threshold and she wanted to give up already. She refused to push anymore and kept asking for C-Sect. No matter how the midwife encouraged her, she just refused to push and the midwife was a bit loss. So she called Dr Ang again saying that my wife cannot bear the pain anymore and asked for C-Sect. Dr Ang said he's coming over soon......
1420 - Dr Ang and a few more senior midwives came in to help. After checking, confirm fully dilated and baby head came down a little but still not enough to take out with any assistance. So my wife was told to try pushing again. One of the midwife (Indian lady) who just came in was very good. She's more steady and my wife somehow would listen to her instruction to push.
1425 - Dr Ang said baby head seem to be coming down a bit after some pushes and got chance to deliver normally so asked my wife not to give up. She's almost unconscious then but whenever pain comes, she'll just close her mouth and PUSH...... At this point, I almost wanted to cry after seeing her in such a pain......
1430 - Baby head came down a bit more and Dr Ang managed to put in the vacuum.
1435 - My little princess finally came to this world..... Dr Ang immediately put her (still a bit bloody) on my wife but at that point, she could hardly see her clearly......
1440 - I went ahead to cut the umbilical cord and the midwife started to wipe her body and drain off the water in her nose and mouth.

No comments: